Tuesday 4 March 2014

Marrying writing with illustration

One of the aims of my professional practice is to marry my writing skills with my illustrations. Ultimately I want to write and illustrate my own children's books, but this takes time. For now though I have started this journey, by providing illustrations for commissioned features in Cotswold Life magazine. This week I went to Tetbury to write a piece for the April issue (published mid March) focussing on the history/ antique connections in this Royal market town. I was intrigued by a room in Artique in Market Street featuring stunning antiquities from Asia set up 42 years ago by George and Ali Bristow. This particular room is a reconstructed house as it would have been in Nuristan, Asia, carved into the side of the mountain.

Nuristan House, recreated as found in the mountains

Drawing a dusty lamp and milk pan in Nuristan House 


I did some drawings in my sketchbook in this "house" as well as some of the town and took them home to work from. I found it particularly challenging to work as both writer and artist, so made two visits to Tetbury to take the pressure off. I carried out interviews and artwork over the two days then instead of trying to do it one - it meant I could do both well without being rushed. The deadline was today which was challenging as I also had to get another one written on Witney, which I visited on Saturday. But being used to deadlines throughout my 27 year working life, I met it.

Here are some of the finished illustrations used from my original sketches. 

Antique lamp from Asia



Close up of clock on Market Hall, Tetbury 


Ancient jug from Asia


lamp with carved wooden bird from Nuristan House



tower on top of Tetbury's market hall

 

No comments:

Post a Comment