Friday 4 April 2014

Interview with Illustrator Hannah Dyson

Illustrator Hannah Dyson has worked for The Guardian, BBC Worldwide Publishing, Channel 4 and other well-known organisations. She admits she enjoys drawing animals and anthropomorphic beings and it her sense of fun, application of colour and ability to capture expressions we are all familiar with that make her illustrations so enchanting. Hannah studied her BA in Illustration at Brighton (1990-93) before doing an MA in Illustration at the Royal College of Art. I asked her the following questions:

The Little English Club for an English/French educational website

What or who inspired you to become an illustrator?

I loved drawing from an early age as most illustrators will tell you. When I did
my foundation course I basically looked for a course that was all about drawing and found that Illustration not fine art was the closest to that. I grew up with books by Maurice Sendak, Richard Scarry imprinted on my mind but really it was drawing itself that got me motivated.

What medium do you prefer to work in and why?

I did a lot of print making on my degrees and that helped me learn how to use colour and create a background by using shapes and texture. I've always appreciated line work and use pen and ink and the computer.

How varied have the illustration commissions been over the years?

Once you have done one job in a certain way you become the person who does say ...animals or humour or whatever. Sometimes art directors and commissioners don’t have time to think what you could be used for so they look at your latest job and if that fits the bill. I have done editorial and book illustrations.

How would you sum up your style and intention for your images? (is
it to amuse, to inform, educate etc)
Ideally I would like my stuff to be beautiful but humorous too. Not pretentious.



What has been your favourite project to date?
I did my perfect job once.....it was a fashion double page spread for the Independent where I met the fashion editor and we sorted out what outfits she wanted and I used my 'Animodels' to illustrate them. Really delicious fun.



What tips can you offer up and coming illustrators today?
I think it’s good to keep an open mind about what you might end up doing. The truth is most illustrators have to work another job alongside their illustration careers as the competition is stiff. This is not a bad thing as it offers a wider experience. Also, today the web and all the opportunities for self-publishing and self-promotion has opened a way for artists to be more in control and not wait for those phone calls.........




No comments:

Post a Comment