Friday 10 January 2014

Day four - making the most of TIME

There's a saying that I came across recently that states this: "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." I was obviously ready, because she did.

I started the day off by drawing this clock. It looked straightforward until I tried to master the angles. It didn't help that where I put my little Kitty, every time the clock chimed and the cogs moved, so did she! I stood still for an hour drawing time and was about to give up when Doranna Brownrigg, my art teacher from 1980-87 walked in. It immediately took me back to being a High School student asking advice. I remember her being pregnant with her daughter, Eva. She is now 30 and about to have her first child any day now. Quite significant that I attempt to draw a clock, while we discuss how time has flown, yet in some ways we return to points in our lives again, as I have done my art. She was very encouraging and gave me a lesson on perspective. It would help if I had brought a ruler!

Grandma in my pocket!
Part of an artist residency is interacting with the public. Today I seemed to talk with people about my work rather than getting the work done. But it was great to hear what they thought about my ideas. I also met another set of volunteers and what they love about the museum. Some of them are currently involved in another initiative with Stroud Valley Project to start clearing the walled garden on Mondays, come rain or shine. The dedication and willingness to give time so freely is very humbling. Without them the museum wouldn't be able to stay open.
I spent a fair few hours next to Laurie Lee's school report and sitting at the teacher's desk. I thought it would be fun to do an illustration of Kitty falling down an ink well. So whilst engaged in conversation, I continued to work. I took a short break to spend some time with three ladies who are part of a new Art Associate at South Gloucestershire and Stroud College, who will be meeting once a week to gather ideas, support and professional input whilst they work on their own self-directed projects. It was refreshing talking to like-minded people and I went back to my school desk, further encouraged. Staff, public and Facebook friends seem to like the Kitty cards for their miniature and collectable value, so I shall pursue the idea and see where Kitty and my imagination take me. I'm not back until next Friday, but sometimes it is a good thing to have a break and come back with a fresh mind. So here is the only completed image from today. I do have two drawings that could potentially make fun images. There are rooms in the museum I have yet to explore in depth, so I am looking forward to seeing what Kitty does next!



Kitty falling down a very inky well

In action at the teacher's desk in the Childhood and Education Room

No comments:

Post a Comment