Wednesday 29 January 2014

Kitty gets her fame

It's not often I get a taste of my own medicine, but I appeared along with Kitty in Stroud Life today. Stroud's Museum in the Park is such a special place for the whole of the area. Artists have for years had a strong connection with museums, so I find it thrilling to be able to develop my observation and creative skills here, knowing also that this was a place where my grandparents and my mum used to live.
It is also an honour to give Kitty some publicity of her own. She often called herself a bowls' widow as George, my grandfather was forever playing his favourite sport - discovered after faithfully watering Stratford Park's green for years. He discovered he was a natural and ended up playing for England, which meant a lot of games at home and away, leaving Kitty alone for long periods. He had his fame, and now it is her turn. One thing I have learnt about doing this residency is the value in spending time in one place, contemplating what is before me and having chance to really look at the objects in this valuable amenity. Every time I go I see something new and exciting. I also realise that I need real things in front of me for reference and once I have that, my imagination takes over.

There is also an article on line


No comments:

Post a Comment