Tuesday 4 February 2014

It's a balancing act!

Although the week's residency has finished, it has been extended for as long as the Kitty Card project takes. My next task will be to put together a worksheet together for half term to give children a chance to find out where Kitty has been. I may even hide her in the museum for them to spot her for real.
In the meantime, I have set aside a few hours on a Friday to continue the residency. It has been very useful to talk to fellow artists who have also carried out a residency to see what they learnt from their experiences. I asked Georgina Hounsome the following questions which she kindly answered to gain another insight from a printmaker's point of view.

What benefits have you gained from doing your artist residencies?
I enjoy working for a concentrated time with no distractions or barriers. It’s quite a privilege to be allowed the space and time to fully focus on personal work but this concentrated engagement really helps push my work forward- I engage with it on a much deeper level because I have the time to do so. I also enjoy working in a different space as this helps to form and inform my work. I've met really great people from doing the residencies and made useful connections. I find residencies also help with confidence- both in my work and in future applications for other projects.

How has it changed your work?
I have a much stronger portfolio of self-initiated projects and my work has developed in different ways. I often spend more time researching on residencies and this helps develop my storytelling/narrative skills. In terms of technical ability, I have more time to draw so I feel that my drawing skills have been extended. The location of the residency tends to have a direct influence on the content and tone of the work. I am inspired by different aspects of the locations and information that is revealed through the research stage.

What advice would you give to other illustrators embarking on a residency?
Be prepared- check out where the residency is and what is around the area, how much things cost, what the transport links are like, language barriers, expectations of residency organisers. I would advise working collaboratively- go with someone else as it can be a bit daunting/lonely. I always go with Alex Higlett who I work collaboratively with. Some of the residencies on ResArtis for example can be in quite isolated places- its more relaxing if there is someone you know with you. If you are scared, you probably wont be able to work well! Some residencies offer apartments/houses with room for partners/family. Start off small and local perhaps. You will probably have to propose a project- make this something you really want to do.

What medium did you use whilst on your residency?
I mainly draw, take photographs and research in museums, places of interest and through books. I tend to take all this information, create a book and then print this book using silkscreen when I get back to the uk.

I heartily agree with Georgina with the fact that this residency is developing my storytelling skills. By engaging a tiny figure with an historic artefact, a shift takes place. No longer is it a piece of history, it becomes a catalyst for a creative tale sparked from this object, which may have no resemblance to its former use. The more I work, the more I realise I need this time to develop my drawing skills, and by spending time absorbed in the act of drawing, my imagination is allowed to take over and lead me. I am wondering whether my drawings could lend themselves to a printing medium of sorts - possibly silk screen or lithograph. It is worth pursuing. Also this self-initiated project will hopefully build up an interesting collection of images for my own professional portfolio.

Here is where Kitty ended up today!



No comments:

Post a Comment