Monday 4 November 2013

Testing the waters

October 23 2013

Having talked to a friend of mine in the publishing world, Caroline Sanderson, I wrote to one of her contacts who set up an award-winning website, called Books for Keeps, with writes reviews on the latest books that come on to the market. Although there is no payment involved, you do get the latest books to keep in return for a review. It means I cvan get a better insight as to what is out there, the subjects covered and the kind of illustrations that are being published.

I wrote the following letter to Andrea Reece and she replied very shortly afterwards.

Hi Andrea
I am a friend of Caroline Sanderson and she suggested that I contact you in
terms of gaining a better understanding of the world of children's books. I
have been a journalist for the past 26 years and worked in radio, television
and magazines over that time, but recently have been back studying at Art
College and am currently on my second year of a BA Hons degree in
illustration at the University of Gloucestershire. My aim is to write and
illustrate children's books so that I can combine my two skills in some way.
With five young daughters (6-13), I have a good audience to test them out
on.
One of my units is professional practice, and whilst my young peers are
embarking on work experience for the first time, I am trying to find avenues
which are relevant to where I am at. To understand the market, I am hoping
to spend a couple of days at various children's publishers, but I think it
would also be good to understand the market from the readers point of view
too. If you think it appropriate, I am happy to write reviews on children's
picture books for Books for Keeps. My children love them as do I.
I want to learn as much as I can about the industry so if you can advise me
any way or have any contacts who might be able to accommodate me for a day
or two, I would
appreciate that. I would probably write a feature on my findings for my
blog, which is linked to the illustration department's website at the
University of Gloucestershire. I figured it was good to give back my own
professional skills to help benefit other students.
Look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards

Tracy Spiers
07766024375


This was Andrea's reply on October 24th 2013

Dear Tracy

Thanks for this, and we'd be delighted to have you join the BfK reviewing team. Do send me your address and I will put some review copies in the post for you.

It's interesting to hear about your degree course. Everyone is always very busy these days of course, but you could contact these people to ask about the possibility of spending some time with them (do say I recommended them to you):

Rona Selby at Andersen Press - rselby@randomhouse.co.uk Kate Wilson at Nosy Crow kate@nosycrow.com Janetta Otter-Barry at Frances Lincoln - janettao@frances-lincoln.com

Andrea
020 8889 1292
07807893369

These valuable contacts enabled me to put together an email to see if they could spare a day so that I could visit and see for myself what happens from initial idea to publication.




No comments:

Post a Comment