Monday 4 November 2013

Working as an illustrator

More letters

Alongside my interest in finding out about children's books, is the idea of working at a local museum and gathering information with the view of writing and illustrating narratives inspired by artefacts and found objects. I think it is a valuable exercise spending time looking at objects and allowing them to inspire and spark imagination. Stroud's Museum in the Park, is a place rich in history. I wrote the following email on Friday, November 1st to Ann Taylor, Education Officer, and Abigail Large, the Museum's Administrator with the view of spending some of my work placement there.

Dear Mrs Taylor and Miss Large

I am currently doing a BA Hons Degree in Illustration at the University of Gloucestershire and wondered if I could spend a couple of days at the Museum in the Park as part of my work placement?

I am happy to help out in any events you have coming up or to do a series of drawings of objects which you can use either as a trail or short story to encourage potential visitors to get a taste for the incredible stories that can be found in the Museum.

I have been a journalist for 26 years so understand the print, radio and television industry, but as a mother of five girls, I wanted to expand my skill sets by gaining specific knowledge and experience in the illustration industry with the view of producing a children’s book as a legacy to them. I am conscious that stories are sparked from all sorts of inspiration and by spending time in a place, carrying out contemplative drawing, can help creative ideas.  I am sure many ideas would come just by spending time in a place such as a Museum which has so much history.

I have a particular interest in the Museum in the Park as my late grandparents and mother used to live in the Mansion House 50 years ago.

I have attached a couple of images of my work to give you an idea of my illustrative style.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
Tracy Spiers

Freelance writer/artist

01453 764110
07766024375


On the same day, I also wrote an email to children's illustrator Rachel Oldfield, who illustrated Up, Up, Up!
published by Barefoot Books and written by Susan Reed. Rachel's website is http://www.racheloldfield.co.uk/more-illustrations/up-up-up/





















Dear Ms Oldfield,
                               
I am currently doing a BA Hons Degree in Illustration at the University of Gloucestershire and wondered if I could spend some time with you to find out what it is like working as an illustrator particularly in the field of children’s books?

I have been a journalist for 26 years so understand the print, radio and television industry, but as a mother of five girls, I wanted to expand my skill sets by gaining specific knowledge and experience in the illustration industry with the view of producing a children’s book as a legacy to them.

I wondered if I could come and see you at work and ask some questions about your practice? I am particularly interested in the process from initial sketches to finished product; what inspires you, what it is like to work for an agency and how you promote yourself.

If you can spare an hour or two of your time, I would appreciate that. If you can, perhaps you can let me know what times are convenient to you.
Looking forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
Tracy Spiers

Freelance writer/artist

01453 764110
07766024375

No comments:

Post a Comment